[General] Light diffraction experiment rejects wave models of light

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 20:49:34 PDT 2017

Dear John Hodge,

I was inspired by your "challenge" statement to take a look at your paper and experiment. Qudos for actually DOING the experiment. I had a quick think about your claim that this "experiment rejects wave models of diffraction and interference ". As someone who has carried out such theoretical work using path integrals I though I maybe help in explaining the conventional view. What one does to calculate interference (as opposed to mere superposition) is to effectively consider all possible classical paths, calculate the length of each, calculate the final phase change for each path from this length, then integrate over all possible paths. It seemed to me, just looking at it, that one would then get the kind of pattern you observe in your experiment.

Rather than then go and do the calculation myself, which would take a quite a bit of work and distract me too much from my own work, I looked up the experiment on google to see if anyone else had done it and analysed it in conventional terms. You can find it here: https://www.nikhef.nl/~h73/kn1c/praktikum/phywe/LEP/Experim/2_3_02.pdf.

Conclusion is: while your explanation may give the observed effect, so does simple wave interference in classical terms.

Regards, JohnW.