[General] What holds mass and charge together

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Wed Sep 13 15:05:57 PDT 2017

Wolf,

I make absolutely no reference to POINT particles.  My own perception of a particle is a million miles from that! (literally!).  However we must surely agree that the physical realm is formed from SOMETHING - otherwise we are totally lost! - and that 'something' must have properties that govern both its behaviour and its influence.  I have simply observed that both mass and charge are properties of the 'something' we refer to as 'a charged particle' - if you don't agree with that then I have no idea at all what you're talking about!  If charge and mass are just two properties floating about in the cosmos not associated with anything then we may as well all pack up and go home, since there's nothing tangible even to refer to!

[Note that in your example of the antenna it seems that you're confusing two issues: the charge is not carried by the antenna but by charged particles moving within that antenna - that's why the charge moves.]

Wolf, it seems to me sometimes that you are trying to claim the moral (intellectual?) high ground by suggesting that others are too fixed in their thinking.  This is not actually a good position to be in, as it also seems to me that you are rather fixed in your thinking that we can dispense with any even-slightly postulates and attribute all effects to 'new discoveries in the future'.  At some point even those discoveries will be in the past - will you then want to dispense with them also?  If we don't attribute any significance whatever to observed phenomena then we have nothing to work with - all we have is speculation (and note that the root of even that word is based on Plato's cave concept, effectively - so even that depends on some degree of observation).

As you say, we can certainly ask why? - but that question is never going to be answered without some reference to observed phenomena and inferences based on those observations.

Best regards,
Grahame