[General] To realists out there

Wolfgang Baer wolf at nascentinc.com
Sun Jan 21 17:58:23 PST 2018

Chip:

The point is we do not see objects out there, we process the
imagefalling on our retina  using our encoded beliefs into a mental mage
display, we do not directly see objects but instead created the
perception with all its properties

If we saw objects directly they would not move when we fiddle with the
image in the experiment I described

And because we do not see object directly but only perceptions that we
believe is reality, once we realize reality is NOT objects then the door
is open to ask the question, "Is there a better assumption about what
explains our sensations?"

And a step along this path was taken by Quantum Theory which substitutes
probability waves for the classic object reality.

But probabilities are squirmy and unsatisfying to me and most of us in
the forum- instead as my paper for FQXI proposes I believe reality is
better described by events, and specifically closed action cycles in
time. This is not solipsism. It does not mean there is nothing external.
It means the next step in our world view is to replace objects and
probabilities with interacting events.

And specifically for your paper it means space is no longer an
independent objective thing out there but rather a creation that
explains certain repetitive sensations and therefore Lorenz is right
there is a fundamental background, and Einstein is right every
coordinate frame defines it own space. But neither of them have made the
next step. That we are all measuring through our coordinate frames and
learned theories that continue to evolve.

hope this helps it certainly helps me to try to find the words that
explain Plato's cave idea in modern terms.

wolf

Dr. Wolfgang Baer
Research Director
Nascent Systems Inc.