[General] Electrons through the looking glass

John Duffield johnduffield at btconnect.com
Thu Apr 16 05:49:27 PDT 2015

Andrew:

Can I point out that the Falaco soliton is akin to half a smoke ring. Thomson and Tait experimented with smoke rings, see On vortex atoms and On vortex particles.

The electron as modelled by John W and Martin is like a smoke ring but with a stress-energy flow rather than a fluid flow. One could think of it as an optical vortex with a minor-axis “smoke ring” rotation as well as a major-axis “steering wheel” rotation. The Falaco soliton isn’t like two of these things, it’s like half of one.

There is a vortex of sorts associated with a water wave in that a test particle moves rotationally.

If you could contrive things so that the wave was moving in a very tight circle, IMHO the test particles would be skew-displaced, but they wouldn’t move. They might jitter a little, but they wouldn’t go round in circles like they do when the wave moves linearly. It would look like there was no motion. Then what we’d have is essentially a standing wave and a standing field instead of a field variation.

Regards
John D