[General] No mass (photon) - to mass (electron)

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Thu May 21 07:22:20 PDT 2015

Dear Andrew,
Frank Wilczek is very smart and has a number of blind spots at the same time, like all of us, he is human.
However, he is very right in what he says, but the IMPLICIT implication  is wrong.
He is right because QED is a perturbative theory that describes the INTERACTION between CHARGED particles.
It does not describe the nature of the particles, as a matter of fact this is the part that is RENORMALIZED away!!!
So he is RIGHT in what he says.
What may be implied, is that this means that particles cannot be totally electromagnetic, and that implication is WRONG, already for the reason I have given above.
So this is, in very short, the answer you want.
What one has to deal with is Feynman Lectures Vol II chapter 28. The binding forces or Poincarestresses are not covariant with the electromagnetic part...unless they are electromagnetic, but nobody knows how....they say.... See also the Boyer-Rohrlich controversy.

(Note that Frank Wilczek has had a problem with relativity, his "wence the force" letters in Physics Today some 10 years ago, I believe,
Yes...
Physics Today 57(10), 11 (2004); doi: 10.1063/1.1825251
There is a part II and II and even IV a year later, I believe and maybe more....
They are good letters, but he has a problem with rest mass, the thing that confuses many of us and about the meaning of E=mc^2, I have to look it up.

Oh, I will come back to you later on the  H-atom and the DB frequency, etc,

Best, Martin

Dr. Martin B. van der Mark
Principal Scientist, Minimally Invasive Healthcare

Philips Research Europe - Eindhoven
High Tech Campus, Building 34 (WB2.025)
Prof. Holstlaan 4
5656 AE  Eindhoven, The Netherlands