[General] charged photons

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 06:48:51 PDT 2017

Dear Chip,

I've quickly gone thru your paper and find a lot of common ground (often
separated by language, sometimes by concept). There are many things that I
would comment on had I the time. Over the next couple of years I should be
able to do so.

A couple notes to start with;

   1. You talk of energy causing 'displacements' of space. I would say that
   energy is a result/measure of 'distortions' of space. There is little
   actual difference between displacements and distortions. However, causality
   is an important issue. You make the case for energy as the causal agent and
   I cannot deny that energy is required to distort space. However, what is
   the source of that energy? We can go back to the Big Bang; but, I don't
   think that we are going to solve the problem. Thus, I should not complain
   about your choices here.
   2. You make a very important statement in the paper, the consequences of
   which I have never seen published or properly taught: "Experiment seems to
   indicate that the spin angular momentum of the electron is the same *when
   measured from any direction." *Do you have any references for it?
   Recognition of this fact (?), many years ago, led me to my present view of
   the electron and, apparently, also led you to yours. I have not seen it
   discussed on this forum, where it is crucial; but, not being active I may
   have missed it.  So I have started a new chain.

No material body (gas, liquid, or solid) can have this property of a fixed
angular momentum in any/all directions. Quantum mechanics put this concept
into the realm of QM 'magic' (e.g., "It is quantum number, not a real,
physical, angular momentum"). On the other hand, light, being able to
travel thru light without net interaction, can provide exactly what is
observed. If bound in a spherical shell, it can have equal ang mom in *all*
directions. I thought that I had written this up in one of my Nature of
Light Conference papers, but, if I did, I can't find it readily (parts of
it are in A. Meulenberg, “The photonic soliton,” Proc. SPIE 8832, The
Nature of Light: What are Photons? V, 88320M (October 1, 2013);
doi:10.1117/12.2022001) attached. I apparently did not have time or space
to extend the story of photon self confinement to its self confinement to
form an electron

The transmission of light thru light in a bound system is seen in the
standing waves of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispering-gallery_wave#Whispering-gallery_waves_for_light.
If self bound in a wavelength (electron) dimension, rather than in a
multi-micron sphere of the picture. The Goos-Haenscen (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goos%E2%80%93H%C3%A4nchen_effect) or
Imbert–Fiodaraŭ
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbert%E2%80%93Fedorov_effect) effects will
cause a photon to shift it alignment as it wraps around, and interferes
with, itself in a spherical geometry (resulting in ang mom in all
directions), rather than in a cylindrical geometry (with fixed ang mom).* I
think that this picture becomes the incontrovertible evidence for the
bound-photon model of the electron.*

While your view and mine for ang mom (and the charge separation of
components) of a photon apparently differ, I believe them to be
mathematically equivalent, if your model is slightly extended. Your pairs
of orthogonal components can represent ang mom vectors in *any* direction.
If you take a linear sum of all your pairs, then you can model the observed
ang mom vector in *all* directions.

Since the above two points will likely elicit a major discussion, I will
stop here and continue later as to how our models of the photon, as
composed of two charge components, both correspond and differ.

.Andrew M.

PS When I taught physics lab to engineering students many year ago, I had
to often emphasize the concept of significant figures. Just because their
calculators could give results to 8 decimal places, this did not improve
the significance by writing all of them. They needed to use other criteria
for how many decimal places they should include in their answers. Your use
of 15 decimal places in most of your results indicates that you did not get
such a lesson.
_ _ _ _